In the complex, highly specialised interdisciplinary field of “tribology”, the Society of Tribology endeavours to ensure:
- transparency and clarity in the individual fields of operation and
- competency in the representation and solution of tribological problems.
Especially important fields of activity include the following:
- Tribological systems
- Materials and materials engineering
- Surface technology
- Lubricants and lubrication technology
- Cutting machining and forming technology
- Machine elements and drive-systems engineering
- Automotive engineering
- Sealing technology
- Measuring and testing technology
In this context, the Society of Tribology is intended to serve as a communications platform and scientific transfer agency for specialists and users.
With the propagation of existing tribological knowledge as well as the promotion and integration of new tribological results, the Society endeavours to constantly maintain the identity of “tribology” and keep it up-to-date.
The major objectives pursued by the Society of Tribology are the following:
- Promotion of the exchange of experience and information between research and industrial application
- Promotion, enhancement, and propagation of tribological knowledge
- Systematic application of tribological results in all fields of technology
- Consideration of ecological standpoints in designing and dimensioning of tribological systems
- Cooperation with engineering and scientific associations at home and abroad
- Education, training, and continuing education
- Participation in the preparation and drafting of technical rules and standards
- Representation of the specialised interests of tribology and tribologists in government and society
- International Tribology Council (ITC), London
- Deutscher Verband Technisch-wissenschaftlicher Vereine (DVT), Düsseldorf
- Österreichische Tribologische Gesellschaft (ÖTG), Wien
- Deutsche Wissenschaftliche Gesellschaft für Erdöl, Erdgas und Kohle e.V. (DGMK), Hamburg
- Technische Akademie Esslingen (TAE), Ostfildern
- Participation in standardisation committees (ISO, CEN, DIN) and in working groups of other organisations
- Reports by the Society of Tribology
Reports by the Society of Tribology are published at regular intervals in the engineering journal, „Tribologie und Schmierungstechnik“.
- The papers presented at the Tribological Symposia can be ordered from the business office.
- We maintain a data base on the subject of tribological test rigs.
- Work sheets published by the Society of Tribology
The Society of Tribology publishes work sheets on tribological topics of primary importance.
- Zeitschrift Tribologie und Schmierungstechnik
- A general survey of publications on tribological topics is presented at the member site,
Most of the work sheets are available only in German.
Work Sheet 9 will be translated into English shortly. An English translation of Work Sheet 3 is currently being revised and will be available at the end of 2018.
» Tagungsbeiträge (wird nicht übersetzt)
- Tribological Symposium with international participation, held annually at the end of September
- Colloquia in the working groups
Membership fees as of 2016:
- The annual membership fee for personal members of the Society of Tribology is 50 €.
- For members of VDI, DGMK, or ÖTG, the annual membership fee is reduced to 40 €.
- Reduced fees likewise apply to retired members (membership fee: 30 €) and students (membership fee: 15 €).
- Please contact the business office for information on the conditions for company membership.